Motorola Xoom Root and Unlock
The Xoom was Motorola’s answer to Apple’s iPad. This is a short and easy guide to rooting your Xoom.
Download Necessary Files:
You should have a folder as such:
Unzip both files that you have downloaded into this folder and follow the guiding points given below.
- Open Utilities > Terminal
- Find sdk/platform-tools (Eg: abc /home/b16/Documents/sdk/platform-tools
This step will help you make sure your Xoom and Android Debug Bridge are connected.
- Find your device, in this case Xoom
./adb reboot bootloader
This command will enter you into the bootloader mode and allow you to give fast commands.
chmod 755 fastboot
This will help in execution by changing fastboot binary permissions.
./fastboot oem unlock
- Choose unlock
- Wait for reboot
- Your device has now been ” hacked” and the warranty has become VOID. (We will be putting up another article about how to re-lock your Xoom and return it to original condition)
- After reboot, type
adb reboot bootloader
- Hit Enter to go back into bootloader mode
./fastboot flash boot rootboot.img
Your device boot image will be flashed with this command.
With this the device will reboot and enter Android
- In order to push the super user binary in, we will have to mount the system partition by typing
./adb push su /system/bin
- To enter the root shell and change the permissions of files, type
You will see this symbol: “#”
- The super user binary permissions will be removed and it will work perfectly after typing
chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
- Go back to the ” home” terminal by typing
- After you type
./adb push Superuser.apk /system/app
you will finally be allowed access to the root. Congratulations, you have successfully rooted your Xoom and unlocked it.
Please remember: Rooting your devices is potentially dangerous because it can brick it. It will also void any warranty that the device may have. Little Boy Reports holds no liability in case this happens. We are only providing the method to root your device without any guarantees, and are not responsible for any problems that may arise.